Highlights & Challenges
As one of North America's premier pipeline and midstream companies, Spectra Energy takes environmental stewardship very seriously. Natural gas is the cleanest burning conventional fuel, producing 45 percent less carbon dioxide than coal. Here are some of our highlights of what we have achieved and challenges we face.
- Reducing carbon dioxide and other emissions by more than 4.3 million metric tons from 2007–2010, with a focus on operational efficiencies; operating seven carbon capture and storage facilities; and providing energy efficiency and management programs for customers.
- Conserving more than 331 million cubic meters of natural gas and lowering our customers’ energy costs by $1.1 billion from 2007–2010 through Union Gas’ energy management programs.
- Reducing our air pollutant emissions by 10 percent since 2007.
- Minimizing the environmental impacts of our operations while growing our business.
- Managing operations in environmentally and/or culturally-sensitive areas.
- Monitoring, influencing and preparing for legislation and/or regulations that address greenhouse gases and encourage increased utilization of cleaner, lower-carbon natural gas.